Saturday, January 28, 2006

"He keeps sending me angels just like you"

I had a great evening hanging with my parents, Mike and Fran, Michelle and Jason, and Brandon and Benjamin (Mike and Fran's grandkids - don't worry, they totally don't act like grandparents). The twins are 5, really cute - one of them asked me if I had a husband. Still taking applications. IQs less than 130 need not apply.

We hand a grand time listening to Sammy play, and he did "Sultans of Swing" - I didn't even know he knew that, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, it's Friday night, and I opted to hang out with my parents instead of hitting up Greek Row like the rest of campus. I'm not really into Greek Row - all those frat houses so close together - it kind of freaks me out. Also, any time I have a Friday night off, I always hang out with my parents. They're tons of fun.

And every now and then someone reminds you that becoming what you swore you'd never be really isn't all that great. And sometimes, it's three somebodies in roughly 24 hours. So spending the rest of my night off in the confines of my own home is probably a good idea. As a side note, I would like to mention that Tuesday night's venture to the SigEp house ended in four-hour conversation on Descartes, Brave New World, and the time-space continuum, so not all of my evenings result in playing in newly formed lakes. Just thought I'd throw that in.

On tonight's agenda: get something to drink - I'm thirsty as hell; watch some Buffy or Dead Like Me; read something: most likely Heidegger's Being and Time or The Tao of Physics; finish this blog and catch up on the blog roll; meditate. It should be a productive evening.

Well, I haven't gone to bed yet, so I think it's still Friday, and it's time for Friday's Feast. Check out JR's feast here.

Appetizer
Choose one: Popcorn, Pizza, Pretzels, Peanuts, or Pasta.
I'm tempted to say pizza because that sounds really good right now, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for pizza, and I'm always in the mood for popcorn drowned in too much butter.

Soup
Describe your personality in terms of a particular vehicle.
A lamborghini:
1) No one can afford it
2) It demands attention
3) It makes you smile
4) If any car has an ego, it's this one
5) No matter where you saw it, you'd always think, "You don't belong here"

Salad
If you won a shopping spree, from which store would you want it to be?
Victoria's Secret

Main Course
Which television show re-runs do you enjoy watching?
Buffy, Dead Like Me, Becker, Family Guy

Dessert
If you could look into the future, how far down the road would you like to see? 10 years? 100 years? A million?
10 years: I can't wait to see how cool I look as Mrs. Prince William...OK, enough with delusions of grandeur. I'd go 10 years ahead, just to check out how I did with my life, see what my loved ones are up to, and to see how that doctoral dissertation is coming.

Song of the Day: "Sending Me Angels" by Delbert McClinton. It goes back to the people reminding you of what you're becoming and all that. Let's not get too sappy with the explanation.

I walked down to the river
Stood on the shore
Seems like the devil's always tryin'
To get in my door
Just when I thought I
Couldn't take it anymore
Here he came again
My friend

He keeps sending me angels,
From up on high
He keeps sending me angels,
To teach me to fly
He keeps sending me angels,
Sweet and true
He keeps sending me angels,
Just... like... you...

As I stand on this mountain
Face to the wind,
Amazed by the number of times I have sinned,
And the countless number of enemies
That should have been friends
Here he comes again,
My friend

He keeps sending me angels,
Here they come a-flyin'
He keeps sending me angels,
To keep me from cryin'
He keeps sending me angels,
Sweet and true
He keeps sending me angels,
Just... like... you...

Some say that it's comin'
I say that it's already here
The love that's among us through
The joy and the fear
When I look into your eyes
Everything is so clear
My friend, oh here he comes again

He keeps sending me angels,
From up on high
He keeps sending me angels,
To teach me to fly
He keeps sending me angels,
Sweet and true
He keeps sending me angels,
Just... like... you...

No comments: