Saturday, November 22, 2008

In the Spirit of Thanksgiving

It's that time of year when it's time to give credit where credit is due. After being bedridden for 5 1/2 months, I've watched a lot of TV. In fact, I'm currently engrossed in a Trading Spouses marathon. It's a real eye opener.

Growing up, I don't think I really knew how good I had it. I had two parents who loved me and always put my needs ahead of theirs. I had a big bedroom, my own bathroom, a walk-in closet, and a car I didn't have to pay for. I got a job because I wanted one, but I didn't have to. My parents never made me do anything they let me decide how I wanted to spend my free time. They supported me when I was a gymnast, they supported me when I was an actress, and they supported me during everything in between.

Now, it's hard for me sometimes. I have trouble seeing the silver lining, but I've been doing my best. Most days, I'm good at it. My health coach (yes, I'm serious) called Sunday, and we talked for about an hour. She said I was in the best spirits of anyone she'd talked to all week, and, as she put it, "and you're there in agony." I guess I'm using the blog to remind myself of the good things, because I had a bit of a meltdown last night. Being completely dependent on other people and lying in bed all day is a lot harder than it sounds.

As I told my health coach, I can't keep this pain from affecting my body, but I can keep it from affecting my personality and my psyche. I have a roof over my head. Somehow every day, despite being unable to get to the kitchen, I get fed. I can pay my living expenses, for the most part, and I'm doing a dandy job of avoiding those pesky collection calls for all of the medical bills that I intend to pay eventually. But this is a recession ... and I'm not convinced it won't be a depression of sorts. I'm not getting paid in full, and I sure do buy a lot of pills. I'm doing my best.

I have a great family to help. My sister comes over sometimes to bring me lunch, and we usually end up watching a movie or something. My grandparents have come to visit and bring food. Both aunts have helped transport me to doctor visits, and Beth did some cleaning and decorating. My uncles have helped out, too. My mom and Mike have been by, and I've even gotten to see my Dad and Laura a few times.

I have the best friends in the world. Dan stays with me and keeps me fed and entertained with board games and video games. Michael brings food, and her kids and magical husband. We have a good time together, and she's a great cook. Leslie brings food and cute offspring. Every time I see Jackson I can't help but smile. He is by far the happiest child I have ever seen. He is always smiling and laughing. It's like he already knows how many people love him. My woman Vicki comes over to make me Hamburger Helper and rock out with me on Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

I've been able to help out at the high school, going up there for an hour or two to help with the play during dress rehearsal or do improvs with the Theatre I classes. It's a good way to pass time and feel like a productive member of society. I can't stay long, and I have to up the meds, but it helps. During dress rehearsal, I got to read the part of the Cowardly Lion due to a family emergency that kept the actress cast in that role from being at rehearsal. It was fun to take that walk down memory lane.

So this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful to everyone who has supported me this year. To my family and friends, I am forever in your debt, and I will never be able to repay the kindness and support you have shown me. To my kick-ass doctor, Dr. Rickard - who is my favorite of all of my doctors - thank you for always listening to me and for being willing to spend a little extra time and thinking outside the proverbial box.

That is all for now. This episode has a lesbian couple that's trading a wife with a straight couple. Awesome! Sometimes TV is a good thing. Oh, I almost forgot: I am thankful for the Democrats winning in November! And I'm thankful I sold some of my stock before the market went to hell.

No comments: