Sunday, November 02, 2008

"Just a Small Town Girl, Livin' in a Lonely World"

Well, I'd be lying if I said I felt good today, but I had a blast yesterday during my brief foray into mainstream society, if you can call my friends mainstream, and I certainly wouldn't.

The day started with me trying in vain the change my eyebrow ring to a captive bead ring, but I couldn't get the damn bead in. I should probably ask my sister how she managed to do it back when she had her eyebrow pierced. Yes, friends of mine, my sister once had her eyebrow pierced. When I couldn't get the hoop in, I opted for a funky curly ring.

I donned a cute dress, tights, and my Mary Janes, and got all dolled up for the day. I even wore make-up! This was a huge deal for me, as I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn something other than sweats and pajamas over the past five months.

First stop: Kari's baby shower. When I wheeld into the house, I squealed with delight when I saw not only my Little Sister Kari, cute as a button, and Melissa, who we later discovered is my Great-Grand Little, but also Laurie, my adopted little. At the baby shower, I totally dominated baby games! It came with the awesome joy of giving Kari more baby gifts! I enjoyed reading the backs of the packages in my game show host voice.

After the shower, it was time to trek from Murfreesboro to the Old Hickory Country Club in the Hermitage area. I wheeled next to Amber for the ceremony. Amber's hair had grown out and was totally cute. I really think she could pull off just about any hair style. I also finally got to meet Cox's girlfriend Alana, who is super cool. It was a lovely reunion with Patrick, Loren, Lindsey, Amber, Cox, Alana, JR, Alan, Nick, Kristin, and Lonnie - and, of course, the happy couple whom I will hereafter refer to as Amanderson - Manderson and Amanda. If I forgot anybody, I'm sorry, but, as I'm sure you noticed, I was on a LOT of drugs.

At the reception, we had a great time. The food was really good, and the booze was free! Props to Amanda's parents for footing the bill for the gorgeous wedding. Cox helped me wheelchair dance to "Build Me up Buttercup" and Patrick wheeled me to the dance floor during "Thriller," balancing me on my back two wheels. What a blast! I also did my pop-and-lock style arm ripple, and shook what I could like a Polaroid picture during "Hey ya."

However, what might be the most memorable part was the combination of belting/screaming "Don't Stop Believin,'" which I have now decided should be played at every wedding. We all stood in a circle - except for yours truly, of course, as I cannot stand - and if our goal was to be as loud as possible, we certainly succeeded.

I got home around 10 last night and woke up around 4 a.m., getting a healthy seven hours of sleep. No, my math is not wrong. The time changed last night. I got more sleep, and those of you boozing it up afterward got an extra hour of drinking time. Now, here I am, typing, in an unbelievable amount of pain, which I expected. I was tempted to leave early, but as I told Patrick, I'd still be hurting if I went home, and I wanted to stay with everyone as long as possible, because who knows when I'll see everyone again. I'm bummed I didn't make it to the post-wedding festivities, but I really needed to get out of the chair and lie down.

All in all, it was great fun. Congrats to Amanderson, who were positively lovely. Amanda was gorgeous, and she was also entertaining during the ceremony. They looked really relaxed, like they were enjoying themselves. It's quite refreshing because so many weddings are so tense.

Today's agenda, or lack thereof, is uneventful compared to yesterday. Right now, I'm just trying to recuperate.

No comments: