Friday, July 22, 2005

"Can You Hear My Heart Beat in This Bond?"

There's a prize for the first person to get the title.

At the risk of sounding redundant: What the fuck is happening in/to London? Attention all terrorists: Leave this people alone.

The two bombings are a little too close for comfort...and I'm a big ocean away.

Naturally, Bush has made a statement about the ordeal, as reported by Guardian Unlimited: "[Terrorists] understand when they kill in cold blood it ends up on our TV screens and they're trying to shake our will. And they're trying to create vacuums in which their ideology can move."

Good point. This stuff does tend to make headlines. But I'm not so sure this is about us, and I'm terribly egocentric, so that's a powerful statement. True, this may be an attempt to hack away at some American allusion of safety, but it may have nothing to do with us. Not being a terrorist, I'm not really sure what motivates these people to blow shit up.

What's wrong with mass pamphlet-handing-out, ala groups on campus who keep trying to convince me not to eat meat? At least then you're not killing your target audience, though I guess that'd be a setback for these explosive-bearing lunatics.

According the the same article, we're now at a yellow terror alert. Don't ask me what that means - I have no clue.

However, I do know this: If someone is trying to blow me up, they could do it, if they tried hard enough. And there's really nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry. I'm going to go about my normal daily business, regardless of what color they use to warn me how close I am to a violent, bloody death.

Switching to something not so morbid as imminent death, I took ERICA to the airport today. A few nights ago, I went to her apartment and noticed a really cool lamp - it's red with fringe, and the base has elephants on it. Naturally, I called it Republican. We decided that was too harsh a nickname, so we're calling it the Lamp of Sin.

I went to see Dave Matthews Band for the first time since I was 18 or 19. It was good. Dave concerts get me all hot and bothered. It could've been the beer and humidity, but I like to think it was Dave. There are few things better than "Warehouse" live. Sigh.

Song of the day, from Stand Up, "Hunger for the Great Light." No one does sexual lyrics quite like Dave.

Oh great light of love
Oh great light of love
Oh great light of love
Oh great light of love

Here you go, you dirty girl
Good God, try to love try to oh
God's love is alive inside you
You know who needs you

I wanna be your hunger
I wanna see you open wide
And when I go down for you
I wanna blow your mind

You and I are such a pretty thing
Smile, smile, you know you thrill me
Cross your heart and hope to die
You know I'd love to

I wanna be your hunger
I wanna see you open wide
And when I go down for you
I wanna blow your mind

You and I oh oh
Shine, shine

Oh great light of love
Oh great light of love
Oh great light of love
Oh great light of love

You come like an answered prayer
Praise God, try to love try to oh
I have the little death delight
Oh I love you

I wanna be your hungry
I wanna see you open wide
And when I go down for you
I wanna blow your mind

No comments: