Tuesday, April 04, 2006

"Everyone knows I'm in over my head"

Well, my MRI was normal...except for my lymph nodes. I, of course, wrote this off as something mono-related, given my stellar history with the disease, but the neurologist said I should have it checked out anyway.

I then went to the doctor, who said the only way to check them out was to refer me to a surgeon for a biopsy. First, she wanted to go over the family cancer history.

"Do you have any family history of lymphoma or any unusual cancers?"

There's some good news. Yes. Yes, I do. We have any kind of cancer except breast, which I why I'm still not concerned about that lump I'm getting an update on Thursday. However, my aunt had cancer of the glands several times, the most recent being seven years ago. The chemo killed it.

So I had to go get a disc with my MRI on it to bring to my appointment with the surgeon next week. I'm also supposed to find out as much as I can about my aunt's cancer. I'm not really sure how to bring that up.

"Hey, mom, what kind of cancer did Beth have? I don't really need to know, but I think whether or not they biopsy my lymph nodes pretty much depends on it. Oh, no, I'm sure I'm fine and not malignant."

Considering my mom didn't even know I was having the MRI, I'm not sure this cancer talk is going to put her at ease.

Fear not. I don't think I have cancer. I do think I have something, but I don't think it's cancer. Right now, I'm hoping for mono. I excel at getting mono, I'm just as good at relapsing, but I'm also good at getting over it. I've got to have killer antibodies by now. Epstein-Barr virus be damned!

1 comment:

theogeo said...

Glad you're OK. I think. I mean I'm glad you think you're OK.

I know the constant medical troubles wear you down. Take it easy, enjoy the weather as much as you can while it's nice and lazy out.

Feel better.