Saturday, April 01, 2006

You're So Vein OR Happy April, Fools!

Well, I woke up bright and early (by my standards at least) to get my MRI. I went to the MRI place in town, and the woman said I wasn't scheduled.

"Maybe you should go across the street to the orthopedist."

Yeah, I always keep orthopedic offices in mind when I need an MRI of MY HEAD.

A quick call to the neurologist confirmed that I was at the wrong place, so I had to go down the street a few feet. I was then ready to fill out forms and wait.

I should preface this by saying I watched House last night, and in the episode, a woman gets an MRI, is injected with contrast, and her throat closes up. Neat!

So I'm in this contraption that has my head held in place so I can't possibly escape, and I'm thanking all that is holy that I'm not claustrophobic. The technician told me it would take about 10 minutes, after which I'd be removed from the large, beige tunnel and injected with contrast.

Excuse me?! I did not agree to needles - I would've had someone else drive me if I'd known that was going to happen. I explained my freakishly low blood pressure and my overall needle discomfort, so she was prepared.

Did anyone else know that contrast is really, really cold when it's in your veins? It was strange. It also made me twitch a little, so I suspect there may have been sulfa involved.

This is not an April Fools joke, but I have to say it: I didn't have a period this month. If I hadn't given up sex for Lent and if I didn't take birth control, I'd be all freaked out right now. As it stands, I'm just annoyed that birth control has made my special time unpredictable (I used to have it down to the hour naturally - go reproductive system!), yet I'm thankful I got a month off. I guess it's my reward for being sex-free.

No comments: