Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Oh No! I'm It! (Not the Stephen King Version)

Ahh! I've been tagged in this ongoing book blogging extravaganza. Now I have to answer so these people will still think I'm cool. Thanks to Manda for tagging me. She already knows I'm not cool.

1. Total number of books I own:
You're kidding, right? I'm not even going to count. Too many. Way way way too many. I don't have that many at my Murfreesboro house, but my Hendersonville house has books out the ass. Hell, I think I own about 50 just from college. Except for my physical science book my freshman year - I ripped out each page individually to show my discontent for the professor and the bookstore for not buying it back.

2. Last book I bought:
Probably something lame for class. I'm going to say one of my philosophy of mind books, and even though I'm not sure in which order I purchased them, I'm going to go with Descartes' Error.

3. Last book I read:
For class, the aforementioned book I last bought. For pleasure: I'm currently re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Catch-22.

4. 5 books that mean a lot to me:
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - my favorite book ever
GUT Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson - what a brilliant writer: "Beauty and pain are not separate" and "What was once stable, shifts. What I am told is solid, slips. The sensible strong ordinary world of fixity is a folklore. The earth is not flat. Geometry cedes to algebra. The Greeks were wrong."
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - come on, a raging feminist such as myself wouldn't dream of leaving this off the list
The Hours by Michael Cunningham - wow, this man writes women better than any woman I've read
Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady by Florence King - this will having you laughing out loud, I swear

5. Tag 5 people to take up the meme and answer in their own journals:
Let's just go down the list of links:
Colby
Lindsey
Joey
JR
Cox
Yeah, Cox - that's what you get for slacking on reading my blog. You've been tagged. And I totally won't be offended if no one does this. But I did. Because I'm cooler than you. That is all. Just kidding. There has to be a song today because I neglected to put one yesterday.

"Maggie May" by Rod Stewart - quite possibly one of the best rock songs ever, and this is according to Vince, who would know. He knows tons.

Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you
It’s late september and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel I’m being used
Oh Maggie I couldn’t have tried any more
You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that’s what really hurt

The morning sun when it’s in your face really shows your age
But that don’t worry me none in my eyes you’re everything
I laughed at all of your jokes my love you didn’t need to coax
Oh, Maggie I couldn’t have tried any more
You lured me away from home, just to save you from being alone
You stole my soul and that’s a pain I can do without

All I needed was a friend to lend a guiding hand
But you turned into a lover and
Mother what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed
And in the morning kick me in the head
Oh Maggie I couldn’t have tried anymore
You lured me away from home ’cause you didn’t want to be alone
You stole my heart I couldn’t leave you if I tried

I suppose I could collect my books and get on back to school
Or steal my daddy’s cue and make a living out of playing pool
Or find myself a rock and roll band that needs a helpin’ hand
Oh Maggie I wish I’d never seen your face
You made a first-class fool out of me
But I’m as blind as a fool can be
You stole my heart but I love you anyway

Maggie I wish I’d never seen your face
I’ll get on back home one of these days

No comments: