Tuesday, August 09, 2005

"Let's Do Some Living After We Die"

Today I present my top Buffy/Angel moments. Why, you ask? Well, if you know me, I'm obviously far too obsessed with the show (I constantly refer to Sarah Michelle Gellar as "Buffy"), but Tina has ordered Angel on DVD, so now I'm becoming obsessed with TWO shows. And we won't even talk about Charmed.

First, at work today, Whitney asked me if I was getting a tan. Yes, my left arm is darker than my right - that's what happens when you have no air conditioning in your car and you must have your windows down because 98 degrees feels pretty damn good compared to the triple-digit helter-skelter in your car. Did I use that phrase right? I don't care - I just wanted to use it.

Spoiler alert! (although by now, since both series have ended, it's probably a moot point) These are in the order in which they aired.

Episode Title: "Angel" (Buffy season one)
Episode writer: David Greenwalt
The moment: At the end of the episode, once Buffy has discovered that Angel is a good vampire with a soul, they see each other at the Bronze. Sophie Zelmani's "I'll Remember You" is playing in the background.

Angel: Look, this can't...
Buffy: ...ever be anything. I know. For one thing, you're,like, two hundred and twenty-four years older than I am.
Angel: I just gotta...I gotta walk away from this.
[kissing]
Buffy: You okay?
Angel: It's just...
Buffy: ...painful. I know. See you around?
[Camera pans down to Angel's chest, where we see a burned image of Buffy's cross necklace. Awww...tear.]

Episode Title: "Becoming, Part 2" (Buffy season two)
Episode Writer: Joss Whedon (the genius himself)
The moment: Buffy comes to fight Angel to the death before he wakes up Acathla, a demon who will suck the world into hell. Meanwhile, Willow is trying to perform the curse to restore Angel's soul, unbeknownst to Buffy. Just as Buffy is ready to kill Angel (after a kick-ass sword fight), the curse works, but Acathla has already begun waking up. Naturally, Angel doesn't remember anything that has happened since he lost his soul. Buffy and Angel's love theme, "Close Your Eyes," plays during all of this (thanks for the score, Christophe Beck). I always cry when I watch this.

Angel: What's happening?
Buffy: Shh. Don't worry about it. I love you.
Angel: I love you.
Buffy: Close your eyes.
[Buffy plunges the sword into Angel, sending him and Acathla to hell. She then cries a lot and Sarah McLachlan sings "Full of Grace" as Buffy leaves town.]

Episode Title: "Enemies" (Buffy season three)
Episode Writer: Douglas Petrie
The Moment: Buffy and Angel trick Faith into revealing the Mayor's plans for his Ascension. This, unfortunately, requires Angel to get physical with Faith. Buffy goes to him later, saying she needs a break after watching all of it. The dialogue happens when she turns to walk away. Insert love theme again.

Angel: You still my girl?
Buffy: Always.

Episode Title: "The Prom" (Buffy season three)
Episode Writer: Marti Noxon
The Moment: Buffy and Angel break up because Angel realizes that she'll never have a normal life with him. At her prom, he unexpectedly shows up, and they dance to "Wild Horses." I get kind of teary at this one, too.

Episode Title: "I Will Remember You" (Angel season one)
Episode Writer: David Greenwalt (damn him and his makin' me cry)
The Moment: Angel becomes human when a demon's rejuvenating blood enters an open wound on his hand. He and Buffy are able to spend a day together in the sunlight, having sex that doesn't turn him evil, lying in bed (she can hear his heart beat), and she says it's the first time she's ever felt normal. Then Angel goes to fight something and realizes that if he were to remain human, one of them would die. Not wanting to risk Buffy's life, he sees the Oracles, who vow to restore his vamp self and erase everyone's memory of the day. He tells Buffy this, and she can't stop crying because they only have one minute left. She keeps saying, "I'll never forget." Alas, she does. Insert many tears from me here.

Episode Title: "Chosen" (Buffy season seven - last episode ever)
Episode Writer: Joss Whedon
The Moment: Angel comes to aid Buffy, and they stand in the graveyard talking. She says she's like cookie dough - not done baking. And of course I cried here - I cried for this whole episode.

Angel: Any thoughts on who might enjoy — Do I have to go with the cookie analogy?
Buffy: I'm not really thinking that far ahead. That's kind of the point.
Angel: I'll go start working on the second front. Make sure I don't have to use it.
Buffy: Angel. I do...sometimes think that far ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun blog!
I have a Northampton site/blog. It pretty much covers Northampton related stuff.
It'd be great to see you there :-)