Monday, March 06, 2006

Surprise, Surprise

I know some of you probably expected liveblogging during the Oscars, but did you really expect me to do anything other than stare at the television? I even silenced my phone.

Most of my predictions were right, and I'm happy that Crash pulled the upset Best Picture win. I wanted it to win, but I didn't think it would. Why? Well, Crash is the kind of movie that changes people. It had all the elements of a great film: screenplay, stellar cast, editing, music, reality. In short, it was a microcosm of American life.

Sure, Brokeback Mountain was a great love story, and I loved the score, but to me, Jake Gyllenhaal was that movie. Heath Ledger was good, but his performance didn't move me or anything. Jake Gyllenhaal ripped my heart out and showed it to me. I was pulling for him for a Supporting Actor upset. Sigh - I did not see that Clooney thing coming. I was right on all the other main categories, though: Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress; I even got some of the lesser ones right - Jonathan and I made our picks at work.

And didn't Nicole Kidman look gorgeous? I swear that woman glows on stage.

Saturday night I met my parents at Grand Stands for some food, liquor and music, all of which were good. I only had three drinks in the four-and-a-half hours we were there, so I insisted on driving them home after watching them drink pitcher after pitcher of beer. On the way home, my dad commented, "Wendy, you're doing an excellent job." I kind of figured I'd end up DDing, which is OK because they did it for me last weekend. They also told me they didn't claim me on their taxes this year. That was a nice surprise, because I might actually get money back, which I can use to pay my credit card and put in savings.

Tomorrow, I'm having lunch with Lindsey! I love days off. If only Spring Break were warmer.

No comments: