Monday, February 20, 2006

The Snowed-ins of Yesteryear

Please tell me someone got that reference. Please? I'm looking to all you educated masses.

I went to Hendersonville Saturday night for some fun with the familiy, and we naturally grilled out in the snow. It's not the first time we've done it. There was ice all over the driveway, and we had steak, grilled chicken, and my dad started smoking a pork butt for barbecue for Sunday's race. Then I realized I can't even remember the last time we only grilled ONE meat. We're quite the carnivores.

My dad and I had some Jack Daniel's and played backgammon, and I lost, which is OK, because I hadn't played in a few years.

Bonus: Khall can play backgammon, too! This is exciting!

Oh, what the hell, let's have a song of the day: "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart.

On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
Contemplating a crime

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running
Like a watercolour in the rain
Don't bother asking for explanations
She'll just tell you that she came
In the year of the cat

She doesn't give you time for questions
As she locks up your arm in hers
And you follow 'till your sense of which direction
Completely disappears

By the blue tiled walls near the market stalls
There's a hidden door she leads you to
These days, she says, I feel my life
Just like a river running through
The year of the cat

Well, she looks at you so cooly
And her eyes shine like the moon in the sea
She comes in incense and patchouli
So you take her, to find what's waiting inside
The year of the cat

Well, morning comes and you're still with her
And the bus and the tourists are gone
And you've thrown away the choice and lost your ticket
So you have to stay on

But the drum-beat strains of the night remain
In the rhythm of the new-born day
You know sometime you're bound to leave her
But for now you're going to stay
In the year of the cat

No comments: